Adeimantus RSS Feed
Subscribe to Adeimantus RSS Feed Add Adeimantus RSS Feed to Your My Yahoo Page
Add Adeimantus RSS Feed to Your MSN Page Subscribe to Adeimantus RSS Feed in NewsGator Online

Adeimantus

Conservative Political Commentary

Quote of the Day

Lady Liberty

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.


Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Remembering What Matters
posted by Bathus

I think Bush will win.

I hope Bush will win.

I pray Bush will win.

But what if Bush does not win?



A friend of mine, a yellow dog Democrat, likes to tell me that Bush will never be his president.

Swallowing my disgust, I always answer him emphatically, "I pray every night that Kerry will not win. But if Kerry does win, he will be my president."

If Kerry wins, and I pray he does not, he will be my president because our death struggle with Islamofascism trumps everything else. Unlike too many of our left-wing citizens (such as the gracious author of this comment) who would accept, hope for, and even work for an American defeat if it would aid the defeat of George Bush, I would find no consolation in a failed Kerry presidency.

If Kerry wins, and I pray he does not, I shall never seek consolation in the words "I told you so" because a failed Kerry presidency would mean that my beloved country's fight against the terrorists would also be a failure.

If Kerry wins, and I pray he does not, I will do everything in my meager power to encourage him to fight the terrorists vigorously.

If Kerry wins, and I pray he does not, I will do everything in my meager power to ensure that, insofar as our struggle against the terrorists is concerned, Kerry's presidency is not merely successful, but is magnificently successful.

If Kerry wins, and I pray he does not, if he will lead I will follow. No, I will not silently follow him off a cliff. But I will not try to drive him of a cliff, and I will not cheer if, despite my best efforts, he goes off a cliff on his own.

If Kerry wins, and I pray he does not, I will still criticize and oppose him openly and strongly on domestic issues. Yet even on domestic matters I will not join in any criticism that significantly weakens his capacity to lead this nation in war. As to his leadership in the war, before criticizing him, I will use my best judgment to determine whether my criticism is more likely to contribute to positive change in war policy or will simply publicly undermine his capacity to lead the nation in war. If the latter, I will moderate my criticism and seek a discrete way to offer it more effectively.

If Kerry wins, and I pray he does not, I shall never forget what matters most, my beloved country, this "last best hope":
Fellow-citizens, we cannot escape history. We . . . will be remembered in spite of ourselves. No personal significance, or insignificance, can spare one or another of us. The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the latest generation. We say we are for the Union. The world will not forget that we say this. We know how to save the Union. The world knows we do know how to save it. We -- even we here -- hold the power, and bear the responsibility. In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free -- honorable alike in what we give, and what we preserve. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth. Other means may succeed; this could not fail. The way is plain, peaceful, generous, just -- a way which, if followed, the world will forever applaud, and God must forever bless.

Now please go vote for George Bush, and make this post the most irrelevant thing I've ever written in my entire life.

posted by Bathus | 11/02/2004 01:45:00 PM
Email this link to a friend
Permalink

Post a Comment

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If not for the stubborn narrow-mindednes fundamental religious crackpots like the christian coalition, al Qaida, and i suspect yourself, 9/11 would never have happened. Instead of promoting his specifically bible inspired ideals, Bushie should have paid more attention to who actually attacked the US and why. He shall not prevail

3:34 PM, November 02, 2004  
Blogger Phil Dillon, Prairie Apologist said...

Anon

I'm with Adeimantus. Whoever is elected will be my president. I'm a life-long Democrat who is supporting George Bush. In fact, I voted a straight Republican ticket for the first time in my life (and I've been voting since 1964).

Your comment bothered me but I can't let it change me. I am honor bound to link myself to all Americans, even folks like you. I doubt that the honor would be reciprocated by you.

My prayer is that this country has more people like me and Adeimantus and less like you. If not, we face perils ahead.

6:54 PM, November 02, 2004  
<< Home